Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Safari





I spent 5 days last week at Kruger Park, South Africa, in a safari- and I do have to say one of my many dreams came true! It was quite an experience to be in the vast african bush, as far as your eyes can reach and more, the magnified red sun and baobab trees that are so often depicted in african landscapes. It was very much like I imagined it, and much much more. What made it more was actually the feeling of being one with nature, understanding the food chain, sipping a coffee on a terrace that overlooks a swamp surrounded by hippos, grazing elephants, crocodiles, buffalo, and giraffes...really!! I went with a great group of people that are also volunteering through All Out Africa. We camped at The Lower Sabie, a closed off area of the park where you are protected with an electric fence that basically keeps all the lions and hyenas from coming to your tent, unfortunately, not the snakes.
We went on sunset drives, morning walks, and drove and drove around the immense park, munching on dried guavas, seeds, corn, nuts, and smoked dried meats (buffalo, beef...). We cooked around the fire, enjoyed delicious braai (african bbq), and soaked in the pool as the temperatures reached 45 degrees celsius some days. I made new friends and collected more dreams, as I want to go back there one day with my blood family, childhood friends, and new brothers and sisters. Enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment